The mission of the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics is:
- Development of fundamental and applied research in mathematics and informatics in compliance with the national and European priorities, integration of IMI into the European Research Area;
- Scientific research in the fields of mathematical structures, mathematical modeling and mathematical informatics, enriching the theoretical foundations of mathematics and informatics and leading to innovative applications in other sciences, in information and communication technologies, industry and society;
- Application of mathematics and informatics to the national educational programmes and educational processes at all levels in the country;
- Establishing the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics as a leading research centre in Bulgaria in the field of mathematics and informatics.
In compliance with the European priorities and scientific research programmes and the world trends in the development of mathematics and mathematical informatics and in the context of the international agreements and the necessity of socially significant applications for Bulgaria, the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics set out the following high-priority strategic research fields: 1. Mathematical structures:
- Discrete mathematical structures and applications;
- Differential equations;
- Analysis, geometry and topology.
2. Mathematical modeling:
- Probability and statistics;
- Operations research;
- Numerical methods and scientific calculations;
- Theory of approximations and foundations of mathematical models.
3. Mathematical informatics:
- Mathematical foundations of informatics;
- Mathematical linguistics and knowledge processing;
- Modeling of software and cognitive processes;
- Modeling of information processes.
4. Modelling of educational processes in mathematics and informatics.