Structure of the Activity:
The Institute of Mathematics and Informatics is an independent permanent research unit in BAS and carries out its activities in accordance with the Law of BAS [Закона за БАН], the Statutes of BAS and the rules of procedure [вътрешен правилник за дейността на института] of the institute, under the current legislation. The Institute of Mathematics and Informatics is a multidisciplinary academic institution with the primary task of raising the level of all activities in the country associated with the development, implementation and reproduction of mathematics and informatics
With the aim of accomplishing the strategic objectives of IMI, bilateral and multilateral contractual contacts are maintained with dozens of research centres in Europe and the world. The management considers the Institute's full integration into the European Research Area to be one of the main approaches towards making science a major driving force in the development of the national economy and knowledge society. IMI—BAS has long-term bilateral and multilateral scientific cooperation agreements with more than 40 research centres and universities in Europe and the world—in Belgium, China, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland, the Ukraine, the UK, etc.
In 2013, there were 22 active research projects within the reciprocity-based exchange scheme between BAS and academies and scientific institutions from 12 countries.
In the same year, the Institute's staff worked on a total of 19 research projects financed by theScientific Research Fund, in many cases with the participation of leaders in the relevant scientific fields from abroad. IMI is leading contractor in 10 projects and co-contractor in the rest.
Recent projects of national and international significance:
- A combined approach using a method of boundary integral equations and cellular neural networks for the analysis of a piezoelectric material with cracks
- Development of mathematical methods for the design, evaluation and implementation of cryptographic schemes for data protection - 2012-2014
- DynaMAT - a Comenius project - 2011-2013
- Fibonacci - Disseminating Inquiry-Based Science and Mathematics Education in Europe - 2010-2013
- Information technologies for presenting Bulgarian with music, notes and lyrics in a digital library
- InnoMathEd - Innovations in Mathematics Education on European Level
- Integro-differential equations for solving coupled problems in multifunctional materials with nano-heterogeneities
- KeyCoMath "Developing Key Competences by Mathematics Education" - 2013-2015
- KeyCoNet "Key Competence Network on School Education" - 2012-2014
- Mascil - Mathematics and Science for Life - 2013 - 2016
- MONDILEX - Conceptual Modelling of Networking of Centres for High-Quality Research in Slavic Lexicography and Their Digital Resources
- MONITOR II - Practical Use of MONITORing in Natural Disaster Management
- Novel mathematical and statistical methods for Machine Learning with applications in the Next Generation Sequencing technologies in Genetics, National Research Fund, 01.01.2015 - 31.12.2016
- Numerical and Analytical Tools for Localized Solutions of Generalized Wave Equations in Multidimension - 2010-2014
- OpenAIRE - Open Access Infrastructure for Research in Europe - 2009-2012
- OpenAIREplus - 2nd Generation of Open Access Infrastructure for Research in Europe - 2011-2013
- OUTLAND - Open protocols and tools for the edUcation and Training of voLuntary organisations in the field of Civil Protection, against nAtural Disasters (forest fires) in Greece and Bulgaria - 2012-2014
- Scientix 2 - 2013-2015
- Spectral Theory of Non-Selfadjoint Markov Processes with Applications in Self-Similarity, Branching Processes and Financial Mathematics, MSCA-IF-2014-EF - Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships, Mladen Savov, 01.07.2015 - 30.06.2017
- TRICE - Teaching, Research and Innovation in Computing Education Established in accordance with the ERASMUS Programme of the European Commission.
- Theoretical and Numerical Investigation of Nonlinear Mathematical Models
- Variational analysis in normed spaces and applications, National Research Fund, 01.01.2015 - 31.12.2016